Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day by day...










Today I bought a new face shield for weed whacking, (my old plastic one seems to have disappeared), so I could get the clover and grasses knocked down on the long bank in front of the house.  Only place I could find a mesh one was in RDG.  Which was OK, as it gave me a chance to blow the cobwebs out of Hank, the pickup. Came back, gassed up the weed eater, put on the face shield, and headed out.  My neighbor came over and said, "Geez, you look like Darth Vader with that thing on." 
"Works for me, I'm going full throttle, I have to knock this out before it rains again."  
I had learned my lesson about not using a full face shield, when I did it last time with just my shoot'n glasses on.  Those little pebbles kicked up into your face hurt, and I looked like I had the measles for a week.  The new mesh one works great, much cooler, you can breathe and no fogging up!
After I ran out of daylight to whack weeds, I came in to text a friend that I had managed to get most of it done.  Friend said, now would be the time for you to use that whirlpool tub in the master bath.  I was a little leery of that tub as I had never even turned it on. I have a full bath on my end of the house, and there was never really any reason for me to use the master bathroom.  But, since my arms were still vibrating from the weed eater and my legs were complaining about the circuit training yesterday, I thought what the heck.  Filled that sucker up, turned it on, ran down to my bathroom, grabbed a ball of moisture fizz, threw that in the whirlpool, and stepped in.  Oh my gosh, if I had not wondered if that whizzing sound was my electric meter racing around, I would still be in there.

Dad, bless him, is still effecting things with his dry sense of humor... 
My brother told me on the phone the other day that Dad had told him he could have Dad's wedding ring. Would I ship it to him.  
"Well that's going to be a tough one, because I don't have it!"   
"It's got to be there, Dad said, I could have it!"
"Yes, well he hocked it."
"He wouldn't do that, it must be there!"
"Nope, he hocked it because he wanted to get a bugle!"
"What, why would he do that?"
"Because he wanted a bugle to learn to play taps."
"Why would you let him do that?"
"Let him, it was his ring, he could do with it what he wanted. He decided he wanted a bugle." 
Oh Dad I'm sending the bugle on to my brother... lol



 

24 comments:

  1. Did you really send the bugle to your brother? That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      As soon as I find a box the bugle is on it's way... lol

      Delete
  2. The Dad Stories will entertain and amaze for years to come. That's a wonderful benediction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I hadn't thought of it that way, but I do believe you are right.

      Delete
  3. I really am interested in your mask. I hate when rocks and stickers etc fly in my face. Not to mention the legs being beat. The whirlpool sounds perfect after a long day of work. I wish I had one too. I do understand the cost to use though.
    Your story about the ring is priceless.(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      They have the mesh face shields at Harbor Freight on Hartnell.
      It was pretty special to get the soreness out with the whirlpool.
      Dad was bound & determined to learn to play taps, he almost made it...

      Delete
  4. Love your posts...can't always tell if you are being truthful or pulling my leg but either way I love it. Glad you were able to knock down those weeds and that the bath was a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changes in the wind,
      Thank you, I am always my version of truthful. The bath was a luxury indeed.

      Delete
  5. Love the Dad stories. Your Dad was a pistol, as are you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      lol, I have no idea why you would think I take after Dad.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Thank you, that is really a special remark, coming from my idol!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Yep!
      Don't blow away in Augusta, how you got that gig is beyond me!

      Delete
  8. Those face shields are great. I have one that came on the hard hat/helmet for logging/using the chain saw. And it came with a piece of plastic to cover the back of my neck so I don't get sunburned.
    Got a laugh out of the ring story...I know folks who fit both sides of that story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Is your's plastic or mesh? I hated the plastic ones, too hot and always fogging up. Used an old bandana as a neck cover, works good, besides you can wet it stay cool.

      Delete
    2. The face shield is metal mesh. The guys like it so much now they wont let me use the chainsaw, I have to stack or pitch into the wagon. :)
      I'm liking the idea of using a bandana instead, although we are usually cutting firewood in winter so I just strip down to my carhartt bibs to keep cool.

      Delete
  9. My son is coming this weekend to do all of my chores for me. I am ashamed because you are able to work hard and do amazing jobs around your place. Right now my allergies are so bad I can barely go out the door to get in my truck. It makes me happy that your dad hocked his ring to buy a bugle. Was he able to play taps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Sorry to hear your allergies are acting up. Be thankful your son will be there to do what you can't.
      Every darn thing is blooming around here, and those with allergies are suffering.
      I thought it was cute when Dad hocked it, I didn't know he had told my brother he could have the ring.
      Dad came close to learning taps, but ran out of time, and air...

      Delete
  10. LOL, my all means send the bugle. Can you believe we got 8 inches of snow last night. I guess we must live in Truckee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Never fear I'm sending it!
      Thanks for checking in, I was wondering if you got a dusting of the white stuff...
      The wind blew, and it rained here last night. At one point there was a big cloud burst right over the house. It was like someone tipped a big bucket of water over on us.

      Delete
  11. When chain sawing, or weed eating, I put on my Stihl sawing helmet, with mesh faceguard and ear muffs. I only have one face, such as it is, and only two ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,
      Good on you for wearing proper gear. I don't have a hard hat, so I wear a reversed ball cap. The weed whacker is not really noisy enough to need ear protection, plus I need to be able to hear my neighbor telling me what I'm doing wrong...lol

      Delete