Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Springtime in cow country...

watercolor by Nelson Boren







out West by an ol friend


Yep, it's spring time in cow country, 
and the sounds of cattle being gathered, marked and branded, echo through the hills...

  https://quik.gopro.com/v/mh5H5Nh8X2/


Yesterday was spent with my attorney among the saddles, bits, and cowman deco of his office, with his Border Collie Pancho at our feet.  This morning was spent pulling and copying documents that he requested.  Got that done and delivered to his office, when a friend texted she would come over for afternoon tea and a chat.  Well I drink coffee and don't really have a nice lady like tea cup to my name. So after I picked up some Earl Grey and cream I went in search of a tea cup. I stopped off at one of the local thrift shops, no nice tea cups. On to another thrift shop, several possibles, but not quite what I was looking for. About ready to say the hell with it, she can drink out of a Fiestaware mug, when I turned around and there stacked up against the counter was a framed print.  Oh My Gosh, it was the framed print I have been keeping on the look out for for nearly 30 years.*

 *A bit of the back story, I bought the same print years ago, it hung in my living room on the home ranch.  A friend always said she liked it (it does look a great deal like her son).  After a while I gave it to my Sean for his house.  With all our moving and his moving it got lost.  Way back then,  the friend mentioned that if I found another she would like one.  

Today I ran right into it!  Took a pic of it, sent it to her, and said, "Look what I found, if you still want it it's yours!"  Her reply was "YES, PLEASE!!"  So the framed print came home with me. I have a few small dings in the frame to fix, and it will be delivered to her, at their ranch.  I'm so tickled to have found it for her.

sorry for the poor quality photo

A flowerdy mug for one friend, and a framed print for another... Much better day today!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      After yesterday, it's a YEEHAW day, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Everything for a reason... :-) Enjoy the coffee... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      I enjoyed my coffee, and she her tea.

      Delete
  3. I lovelovelove these serendipitous stories. Sometimes, things come together just as they should, and it's wonderful when they do. That print is fabulous. If I'd known you needed a teacup, I would have brought one of mine right over. I don't use them, you understand. They're just leftovers from my antique china collecting days. I'm into china dispersal now, and nearly have moved along everything I don't want to (have to) keep. I am a sucker for old china, particularly the old chamber sets. The 1800s are my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      Thanks, it was pure serendipity that I found the print.
      My next item is a large red cut glass bowl for a sister-in-law that loved her mother's. My MIL made big fresh fruit compotes in it at all the holidays. None of us know what happened to it.

      Delete
  4. What a great find! I have most of my Mom's china cups. One of my sister's shipped them to me or my Dad. No one would 'fess up. They are still in the shipping box. I drink out of Fiestaware mugs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      It made my day!
      I too have my mother's china, but it is not for me, nor would the friend have wanted to use it. She was happy with the flowerdy mug.

      Delete
  5. Love this post and how it all came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changes in the wind,
      Thanks, it did work out well.

      Delete
  6. Love the photograph. I have one that could be a dead-ringer for that scene only mine is of Highway 25 between King City and Paso Robles. Lovely print. I got a kick out of your description of mugs vs. teacups. I am a coffee drinker, as you know, and I serve mine in mugs with horses traveling across the waist of the cup. When I first got engaged, those china tea cups were IN. I still have at least 20 cups--they used to call them engagement cups. Like Shoreacres, I am in the process of getting rid of them. Of course, I remember all of my parent's friends who gave me these cups...that makes it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      I will let DR know you approve of his photo, too.
      Been on 25 a time or three when we lived down that way, and it does look very similar.
      Engagement cups, that's a new one to me. I did get lots of pant stretchers, and an iron...

      Delete
  7. enjoyed this story like post friend!
    your choices of photos made me lost into your lashing cow country .

    so glad that spring stepped in to your beautiful area .
    you sound bit like me as while shopping when hubby or my fellows say okay this? look at this ,it looks good! and i replay no it is not what i was looking for

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tea cups are for Brits. Us Yankees can drink tea out of Yogi Bear jelly jars. Or Scoobee-Doo mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      Tea cups are too for Yankee ladies, there just aren't many of either one around these parts.

      Delete
  9. Proper tea cups are for company. Earl Grey is an excellent choice. When it is just me I use whatever cup is at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW Bandy,
      Yes indeed, see Fredd above. I like Pike Place orange spice, sun tea and that's about it.
      There are now a bunch of brightly colored Fiestaware mugs and one flowerdy mug on the shelf.

      Delete
    2. Try Lady Grey sometime.

      Delete
  10. That's so cool that you found that print...I love it when things like that happen! Funny you mention tea cups! I had been given a bunch from an auntie of mine just last week and have already raided my local thrift shops to find more.

    ReplyDelete