Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Trimmings...




The pine tree lives after I trimmed the heck out of it.  My radio flyer and I will haul some more rock to put in that border and that project will be finished.

The personal property inventory for Dad's estate was finished yesterday and turned in to the attorney today.  Now I'm waiting for the co assessor's appraisal to be submitted, so I can put the place on the market.
Last weekend I hit the wall, from trying to get things done around here, by my lonesome. I just can't go like I could when I was younger, and it frustrates me. Saturday I was just plum exhausted. So Sunday, I made myself just take it easy for the whole day. No doing chores, no worries, went to breakfast with friends, took a long nap, read, texted with the kids, and grandkids.  Just what I needed to recharge.
This Friday the photographer comes to take photos for the real estate listing. There is still a lot that needs to happen in the yard before he gets here. Most of the front is done, dry creek cleaned out, pine planted, just a couple loads of prunings to haul off.

    

Today was cooler weather by far, only got to 93. Had a gardening service come last week and give me an estimate on trimming the long hedge around the driveway. They said it would take 2 guys at least four hours and be $375 and $35/hr/man after that. Ouch, I will do it myself, thanks!  Got the hedge face all done, and 1/3 of the top done today, should be able to finish it tomorrow.




 Pretty tuckered out from going up and down that ladder all day, and trimming by hand. I have an electric hedge trimmer, but I didn't want it to look scalped, so did it with the loppers and pruning shears.  My arms are a little sore, but nothing a nice hot shower won't fix.
PS:  I don't know what I'm trying to prove to myself, but doing this by myself is not the brightest thing, so I will try to find a landscaper to help me finish it up.


21 comments:

  1. It wears me out just to hear all you are doing. I am so tired in this heat and I cannot go outside for more than getting fresh water for the animals. The dogs are so hot and tired that yesterday when the yard man came they didn't even lift their heads from the couch pillows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      It has been HOT here too, which means getting out there at o dark thirty to get thing do.
      LOL, smart dogs!

      Delete
  2. I am guessing no other family is helping out with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW Bandy,
      They all work and are too far away, besides. The is some truth to the phase "lack of planning on my part, does not constitute an emergency on your part"...

      Delete
  3. If I don't finish up my work by 10am or so, it's not going to get done. I've found that if I do a whole bunch of stuff one day, the next day I'm beat. Those bushes look like a nightmare to trim. Can't you charge a bunch of this stuff off to the estate and be reimbursed after the sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      See my PS. Yes, the estate can afford to pay for some of these things. I'm just so used to taking care of myself & my pennies... I seem to have a hard headed blind spot about doing things myself. Need to face that dragon and get on with it.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow, drink lots of water. I ditto Adrienne's suggestion. I'm hiding inside from the heat by 11am these days. Kudos to you. I hope your family appreciates what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      Staying well hydrated, and wearing light colored breathable clothing helps too.
      As Adrienne and you suggested I am trying to get help with the yard work.

      Delete
  5. Take it easy and hydrate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful garden!

    This will help.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME44ar37seg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Gotta love some Waylon!

      Delete
  7. I view this as terrific exercise. And yes. We cannot keep going as we did when we were young but look at what you ARE doing. Way ahead of our age group. If you have some funds to help with the landscaping, then I'd say, splurge a bit. Your walkway with the arch and river rock looks great. Have you decided where you are going to go when the house sells in record time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      I like working in the garden, it is ever changing, and you can see the fruit of the labor. Need to keep working out as my yoga/cross training class has ended, and the ones at other places are more for the youngsters.
      Tried to get a yard service to help, but they just want to mow & blow!
      I'm going up to spend some time with my son & his family in Vancouver WA. Will be scouting that area, as I have loved it in the past. I have extended family there as well. A lot cooler in the summertime, and not all the Cali BS that is happening in this state.

      Delete
  8. geez you need some help with all that. I wear myself out all the time doing everything but at 56 I feel like I should be able to do more and then I get mad that I can't do more. My hedge is a lot of work too, but I use the cordless hedge pruner. I love that thing. The ladder is a killer. Why did I plant that hedge? Oh yeah cuz I do love it when it is pruned(-: LOL Hope your photo session goes well!Everything will be beautiful I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      I could sure use some help, but good help is hard to find. Normally I would use the hedge trimmer, but that only works when there is time to let it grow out a bit, time I don't have. It has been so darn hot, as you know, that I didn't get to it as early as I should have.

      Delete
  9. I feel your pain. The chores around here take four times as long to get done than they did thirty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Yep, it frustrates the heck out of me, that things take so much longer to accomplish than the used to.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow -- I have a hedge like that between my property and neighbor's. Days are long past when I would undertake to shear the top as would have ro walk a wall on the opposite side. No getting on ladder for me now, especially in this summer's heat and humidity Mother Nature's climate warming is giving us. Appreciate your drive and energy, though you're likely much younger than me, I think you're wise to have others finish the job. That whole area looks quite lovely from the photos and the curving walkway so pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joared,
      I don't know your age, but I will be 71 in a couple weeks. Knock on wood that I have had no major health problems or have to take any meds. I'm a firm believer in "use it or lose it" so I try to do as much as possible to keep in shape.
      Thanks, the yard is a work in progress

      Delete
    2. I'm a decade older than you. I wholeheartedly embrace the use it or lose it philosophy but have had to reluctantly recognize some limits.

      Delete