Monday, April 20, 2015

Keep'n it simple...

Slowly changing the look of the house and landscape to my idea of western minimalist or what ever you want to call it...



While cutting back the juniper jungle I found two rusty metal crane cutouts that had been hidden in the landscape.  One, I placed by the front door in one of Dad's awesome disk blade planters.




The other one I put in just off the back patio by the waterfall.



I may well change them out, but I like the simplicity of their lines.


Finally drug my bookcase cabinet out of the garage and into my bedroom.  A few years back mother saw it in a barn at a ranch sale. It had been used to store junk, paint, oil, and as a home for wasps and spiders.  It was in such sad shape they gave it to her.  She didn't want it, but knew I would.  I brought it home, and promptly knocked out the  top panels in the doors, pulled out the shelves and scrubbed the whole thing down.  Found some crown molding at the hardware store to put around the top, and bead molding to go over the edges of the chicken wire I put on the top door panels.  After that I sanded the whole thing down as close to bare wood as possible. (It was painted a fuggly green.)  Then, I reinstalled the shelves and painted the inside with two coats of Navajo white. After the inside was thoroughly dry, I painted the outside with Navajo white and and wiped it off just before the paint started to get tacky. Let it dry, and gave it several coats of clear Briwax. It has seen a bunch of cowcamps since and is still holding up. It isn't pretty, but it works for me.




18 comments:

  1. I like that chest a lot. The cranes are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really like your work, and the cranes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of your place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rusty cranes you found. What a great find(-: The planter is a perfect spot to show the crane off too(-:
    The bookcase is awesome(-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work, you have talent aplenty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, and one thinks you 'might' have done this before... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been busy. I love the cranes and think they are perfect in their new spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last 'Anonymous' comment was me. One week and I have forgotten how to leave a comment properly. So sad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great eye for both interior and exterior design. I like when old things get restored to something new and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cabinet is wonderful. Good job! The cranes deserve their places of honor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you're a handy young lady to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job of antiquing. A lot of work but a real keeper.
    The cranes look right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to hang your shingle out as the local landscape architect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ALL: Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from such a multi talented group.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I second all these comments, and have to ask: On your mantel is a branding iron... what's the brand shape?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely touch, Brighid. The simpler, the more peaceful. Think Zen Cowgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. JENNY: Thank You. It's the Cowman's family brand, a mule shoe with a rocker under it.

    CHERI: Thanks, Zen Cowgirl!

    ReplyDelete