Monday, July 27, 2015

Volcano high...

Dad's been mope'n lately, I know why, and I can't fix that, but I can give him another venue, mountain air.

Sunday, I told him to get his fish'n pole, and Willy and Load Up!  He hemmed and hawed for about a minute, and then was yelling for me to get a move on. Hey, who's great idea was this anyway!
We made a big loop, going to the N entrance to Lassen Volcanic Park.

eruption of Lassen Peak, June 14, 1914

 Whipped out the trusty senior pass and we were in. I then drove to the south end of Manzanita Lake.  
After unloading his gear, I parked Dad & his walker by the water so he could fish.

 


 He was way out of practice with his casting, there by being of some danger to anything in the general vicinity. There weren't too many other people around, and the ones that were hastened to keep their distance.  Willy sat under Dad's chair and shook, as I waded out to untangle the lure, again, and again.  He caught: four logs, a large stump, one pine tree, two pine cones, three water plants, and me. Another day fish'n with Dad... But dang if he didn't have a smile on his face. When the wind got too brisk for him, we loaded up, and headed on through the park.

the 8,000 ft elevation mark

Helen Lake
It is beautiful in the high country... I told Dad I would love to come up here kayaking & camping. He said, "Well, if you had a boyfriend you could. Which you would have, if you weren't so darn picky!"  He's plotting again...

Emerald Lake
As we were driving through the park, I asked Dad what a certain shrub was. He didn't know, but he said my grandpa would have been able to tell me what every tree, plant, rock, and critter was... It seems he was a voracious reader with a photographic memory as well as a consummate outdoorsman.
After touring the park we drove into Chester for a bite to eat, checked on what was on the flight line at the airport, and then headed down the mountain to home. Dad was in a much better mood after 200 miles of mountain air... well that, and his SF Giants Won.

 

17 comments:

  1. Fresh air is the best even if you never catch a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was there, too. Beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to get up into the High Country. Life is different above 6,000 feet. I need to get out there, but I fish worse than your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to laugh at his "catches." However, just getting out in such lovely country and trying to catch fish had to be great for an attitude adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fishing is 'fun'... Even if you never catch a 'fish' per se... :-) No rubber boots though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful place to spend the day and shake off the blahs. Another world all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fishing isn't always about catching fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fishing for pleasure just soothes the soul. All the problems of the world don't seem to matter as much. And as LL said, you don't have to catch anything. And even if I did, it would be thrown back anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so good to that old daddy of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say fishin' is about goign out on a boat and drinkin'! The last fish I caught was by accident, I was eight years old and with my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are building a mountain of memories for you, in particular, at this stage of your father's life. All these trips and quips, these lines (fishing) and lines (your father's advice) are gold, as you know.

    I imagine the mountain air, the pure environs did you a world of good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is called fishing, not catching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend in Westwood I visit on occasion. I like it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some of the best "fishing" trips...

    ReplyDelete
  15. ALL: Thanks for your comments. Making memories with Dad is on going. He is now planning our next adventure: elk hunting in Colorado this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can only add that you are a wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. GRANNY ANNIE: That is sweet of you to say, I wish it were true.

    ReplyDelete