Sunday, November 29, 2015

Oh Babe...

During the time Marymine was here with my grandkids for Thanksgiving,  her grandpa pulled her off to the den to show her some ancient movies.  Mostly hunting trips of he and his brother and family friends.

But there was one section on the end of one that was of the young college student Cowman.  He was dancing with my roommates and horsing around with the puppies from my Queensland Heeler.  I didn't realize that Marymine hadn't seen it before now. Maybe, her grandpa thought she had.  Marymine kept saying, "Oh Mom, It's Dad, It's Dad!"

The Cowman loved to dance, it is how we met, at a dance in a country barn.  No line dancing stuff, just good old country dancing, fast or slow.  He was a good dancer, not so much the blonde with two left feet, but he never seemed to mind.  More than once I heard these words whispered in my ear, "It's my place to lead, and your place to follow, babe."



We danced at a lot of honky tonks, at rodeo dances, the little Red Bank school house,  and so many dance halls out in the back of beyond.

He danced until it just became too painful with a badly placed staple in one shoulder from a wreck with a bronc.  It was a good long run anyway. 

I know that where he is, he's rid'n a good horse, has Max the Wonder Cowdog by his side, and on Saturday nights he's swinging the ladies around a spring board dance floor with his cockeyed grin full out. 

Oh Babe.

"I have danced with your Memory a thousand times..."  -zZz-






19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture you have made with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful memory you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more fun than I can express...

      Delete
  3. Old home movies make the past come to life. I agree with Nelly, you did a good job painting that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's old home movies are a hoot to watch. Thank You for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely and sweet post, Brighid. I know you must miss him very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, Thanks!
      I do miss him, some days a lot more than others...

      Delete
  5. Remember the good. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lessons to be learned from both the good and the bad... though the good is a lot more fun...

      Delete
  6. Memories of the sweet, everyday times are much dearer than huge, blown out affairs. Hold them tightly, they are precious, and you do indeed paint them well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about memories of simple good days,
      and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. I know you are busy, you need not answer. You must have touched many a heart with this memory, as you can see from the many people who wrote to you thanking you for this. I know you brought many emotions to me, many I hadn't felt in years, some bitter, some sweet, but all welcome, and all needed. When we no longer feel, life is no longer worth living. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm never too busy to reply to comments, seems the least I can do when you have taken the time to comment.
      I am humbled by your words.

      Delete
  8. Moving piece, Brighid... I felt I was there dancing and watching. Hang on to the good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grannymar, hang'n tough here...

      Delete
  9. I love this post! And I love that you have such beautiful and fun memories to hang on to. A dancing man is great fun! Sweet.

    ReplyDelete