Monday, April 7, 2014

Smell the wonder...

It is an absolutely awesome morning. The air smells wonderful. Like bygone days on the water. A slight breeze, sunshine, and a smell like no other...



The Cowman's parents had a houseboat on Shasta when they were still going strong.  There are so many in the family that we had to take turns on it.  Nothing fancy just a place to get away from the summer heat of RB.

  Sometimes we took just adults, and sometimes the whole shoot'n match: kids, friends of kids, dogs, ski boats, boogie boards, and always lots of food and drink.


Getting the Cowman to take a break was never easy. The kids looked at him in amazement: to see him in cutoffs, wifebeater, with a bandana tied over his head driving the ski boat at full throttle. 

There were lots of pranks on the adults only trips, but I'm sure I was only the instigator in three fourths of them. One of the other cowmen eventually healed up from one, but "really" anyone who safety pins his shirt tail to his jockey shorts...

I loved to sleep on the roof top of the houseboat, no one else did, so I had it all to myself. With the stars for a roof, the lap of the water for a song, and the call of a loon for a wake up call. Quietly, so as not to wake the others, diving off the roof top to go for an early morning swim with a bar of Ivory (cause it floated). Sneaking back on board to set on top to dry off and listen to the lake, before starting breakfast for the crew. 
Here and now, a blessed beautiful day in RB, wish you could smell the wonder... 

14 comments:

  1. My mother lives in Redding. I've been to Shasta...on a houseboat, and can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to early moring on the lakes of the BWCA between Minnesota and Canada. Just to sit by the shore, listen to the world come awake. Or to paddle out to the next portage with fog so thick only a compass kept you headed in the right direction. So quiet you almost hated to disurb it with even the sound of a paddle stroke . . .

    You bring out some very nice memories Ma'am . . . very nice in deed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely description with images for the eye and emotions for the heart. Specifics, especially in that last paragraph, produced the effect you seem intent on conveying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know maybe I shouldn't ask but I can't help I'm curious. What happen to the Cowman?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words, brings back memories. Just waiting for the snow to melt off to make it up to our favorite alpine lake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LL: Mom of such a son, she has to be Proud. If your ever in the neighborhood, the welcome mat is out.

    EIAFTINFO: I'm so glad you have some great memories, too.

    CHERI BLOCK: A humble Thank You.

    ANONYMOUS: No problem, the Cowman died a few years ago.

    CELIA: It has been a long winter up your way. Bet your rare'n to go. Pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this... Fond memories are the best ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This entire post belongs on my "simple pleasures" question. What a guy, what a gal, what a life. Thanks for reminding me of a time long ago when I actually dove into the lake with a bar of soap. My children will never believe it is so. They don't even know I can swim. (If I still can.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds idyllic and what a gorgeous setting. Reminds me of some of my best memories. Give me water, a boat and no schedule. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OLD NFO: Yep, they sure are!

    GRANNY ANNIE: You are too funny, keep swim'n!

    ARKANSAS PATTI: Special places with special people, always good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A houseboat always sounded so romantic to my ears. I did have a friend who had one, but the opportunity to test my theory, never happened. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GRANNYMAR: Ours was more closely related to a floating ham can than anything romantic..

    ReplyDelete
  13. We rented a houseboat on shasta about 20 years ago. It was the most relaxing week I have ever spent. Mrs. Woodsterman, Little Woody and his friend and myself on a 47 footer. Damn that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ODIE: Time to play it again, and you & Mrs. best stop by on the way up. We have running water now... and inside facilities... in RB.

    ReplyDelete