Thursday, September 18, 2014

Head Up...

Took Dad up to the Veterans clinic today to get him checked out by the ENT doc.  He has been having trouble with his voice. Practically shouting to get words out. His NP had suspected he had reflux so put him on meds for that til he could be seen by the ENT docI always go in with Dad.  So there we are, with Doc and his nurse getting ready to scope Dad's vocal cords.  With the camera down Dad's throat, the nurse turns to me and says,  "you want to see don't you!"   "Oh Heck Yes, it's interesting!"  She laughs and says "I thought so just by the look in your eyes!" She sets it up so I can see it on the monitor and Doc walks me thru what we are seeing.  It was very interesting. Dad will be staying on the meds as they are helping, and was cautioned to not force his voice, but there are no other problems.  
I told them I had worked for a large and small animal veterinarian and was always getting in trouble... Doc, bless his heart, would ask me if I wanted to scrub in. "Yes Sir!"  And away surgery would go, until Doc would lean over to me and say, "I can't see to close with your damn head in the way!" 


14 comments:

  1. Same for my sister who worked with her husband the dentist. She got so into the job that she thought she was the dentist and was always in his way. Plus she diagnosed the community at will. Not a good thing. What's with this word verification? Too much spam for you? Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that your father is ok. You're doing a good job keeping him in shape, and fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 LL. And I agree-- always fascinating to get glimpses into unfamiliar, specialized worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Dad is okay. It's fun to look and see, I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might be worth a try. I just found that my raspy voice plus finally sleeping the night through was helped enormously by using two pillows to elevate my head. Can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRANNY ANNIE: I was in awe of Doc's knowledge, and never thought of running the show or giving advice...there be dragons there.
    Yeah, annon spam was terrible!

    LL: Thanks, trying!

    JENNY: Thank you. It is isn't it!

    CELIA: Keep on learning!

    ARKANSAS PATTI: The reflux med and having him sleep with his head elevated has helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad there weren't any major issues for him, and good for you for keeping involved! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OLD NFO: I'm Very blessed that he is so healthy. Legs are giving out on him, but his mind is as sharp as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing a wonderful job, my friend.

    I too love taking a peep at the inner workings. best of all was watching on screen as they worked on my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GRANNYMAR: Thanks, trying.
    Whoa, I bet that was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your Dad will be o.k.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  12. CINDEE: I know you were very close to your Dad, so you get it that I worry. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not long before my brother died, he called me to say that Dad was in the hospital with a serious case of Acid Reflux. They just kept him overnight, more due to his advanced age, and made him feel much better. That's not something he'd had issues with before. I asked Big Bro if he'd eaten anything he shouldn't and Bro admitted they'd spent the evening out on the deck eating this big quart jar of pickled herring and drinking beer. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BRIGID: Yep, I bet pickled herring and beer would do it. I cook for Dad and hadn't fixed anything unusual... but then my cooking...sigh

    ReplyDelete